Wednesday, May 14, 2008

WFMW-Podrunner Intervals



Oh, today I'm really proud of my WFMW because it's quite an accomplishment for me!



I'm running shuffling.

Yes, it's a very slow run but it's running none the less. About a month ago I was searching through podcasts and found First Day to 5K. It's an interval training program that is supposed to have you running a 5K in 9 weeks. Notice I said "supposed" to!! I've had to repeat week 3 and will probably stay on week 4 for another week before moving on. (You'll also see that they have a Gateway to 8K on there as well)!

Here is what I like about it. The music sets your beat. I really like that there is a cue to let you know when to run and when to walk. You don't have to worry about watching a clock to check your time! You get this nice little signal to let you know when you are supposed to begin running and when you can gloriously stop to walk. That's the interval part. You walk and run during each workout. Each week the running time increases. Here is an example:

Week 3
5 min warm up
90 sec run
90 sec walk
3 min run
3 min walk
90 sec run
90 sec walk
3 min run
4 min cool down

Week 4
5 min warm up
3 min run
90 sec walk
5 min run
2 min 30 sec walk
3 min run
90 sec walk
5 min run
2 min cool down

It hasn't been easy but I keep plugging along. My hopes are to run a 5k in October.

Here are a few things I've learned while doing this:
-stretching is extremely important (before and after the workout)
-good shoes are a necessity- I have trouble with shin splints and have had a difficult time with shoes!!
-it is ok to repeat a week!
-push yourself but not so far that you want to quit!! I have had to cut that 5 min run short a few times!
-ENJOY!!

So I'm off to shuffle run now! Wish me luck!



5 comments:

mom_of2boys said...

I didn't know they had such podcasts. I'll have to check them out. Thanks for sharing!

Jendeis said...

What a wonderful idea! I could really use this. Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Way to go! I've tried to do this a couple of times, but I haven't made it all the way through yet.

Unknown said...

That's great Beth!

I tried to run in December, but I ended up having knee problems. I tried a similar routine (and I also got stuck LOL). I'm hoping to run some more this summer.

I got my prize today. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi Beth,

I am on week 3 of the podrunner interval 5km training. Just a quick question. Do you find the running music beat too slow? I am fine pounding away to the beat during the walking music but the running beat feels very slow.
thanks