Wednesday, February 20, 2008

If I'd Only Known-Robert "Radio" Kennedy and Coach Jones


This morning I opened our small weekly newspaper to read that Robert "Radio" Kennedy and Coach Harold Jones had visited our local high school last week. Oh if' I'd only known. I would have loved to have been able to attend that assembly turned pep rally. I would have even taken my own kids out of their elementary school early to attend.

The story of Radio and Coach Jones is such a touching one. If you don't know the story you can read about it here, or watch this movie.

Just last week my children watched part of the movie and were mesmorized by it. They loved watching Radio as he "worked" with the athletes at T.L. Hanna High School. They loved watching him as he entered school each day with such enthusiasm. And I saw their hearts break as they watched how some of the students mistreated Radio. It's a great life lesson!

Oh, if I had only known- I would have loved to have been present to watch this wonderful man share his love and passion for people through smiles and cheers -and watch as he spoke personally to each coach at the school- asking the most important question - "Do you stop to eat after games/matches/meets".

But it's also Coach Jones' words that show the true depth of this special relationship that Radio has not only with the coach but with 1000's of students who have walked the halls of T.L. Hanna High School (and any other school he has visited):

"Radio's presence at T.L. Hanna has been educational for the students and the staff. While we were trying to teach Radio to read and write, Radio was an inspiration to us. We thought we were teaching Radio, but Radio was teaching us"

And what were Radio's parting words to the students at our high school:
"Stay in school, do your homework. Teachers tell you to do it, DO
IT. Do your work. Do what your teacher tells you to. That's all."

I think that about says it all!







1 comment:

Stanley said...

Thanks for pposting this