Monday, December 17, 2007

Menu 12/16


It's time to plan my menu for the week. Last week went pretty good. I think that Spaghetti and garlic bread will become a staple on Wednesday nights now because the boys have basketball practice that night and they always want spaghetti before practice.

so here's my menu:
Monday- Baked Potato Soup (recipe below), Sister Shubert rolls, salad

Tuesday- Swiss Chicken Bake (trying for the third week to get this in), green beans, cranberry sauce, salad

Wednesday- spaghetti and garlic bread

Thursday- Pizza- DS#1 is celebrating his birthday by having a few friends spend the night.

Friday-probably whatever DS#1 wants for dinner since today is actually his birthday-How did he get to be 11 already!??

If you're like me and have a hard time coming up with meal ideas- head over to Laura's site - you'll find tons of ideas. While you're there check out the rest of her site as well!!

Baked Potato Soup-in slow cooker

this is sort of a combination of several recipes-first time I've made it

3 or 4 baking potatoes (you can either bake them in the over, cook the in the microwave or cook them on the stove- I cooked them on the stove)
1 can Chicken Broth (I used 99% Fat Free)
2 tsp I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
1/2 Cup Flour
3 or 4 cups of skim milk
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 large onion
1/2 cup 2% cheddar cheese
4 slices of microwave bacon
6 0z. sour cream
*******

*cook potatoes using method of your preference- I peeled two and left the skin on one- cubed them and cooked them on the stove- when done- place 3/4 of potatoes in slow cooker. Use a potato masher (or whatever) to lightly mash the rest of the potatoes.

*In skillet- (with a little bit of Pam Cooking Spray)- saute onions, add onions to potatoes

*In same skillet melt butter and slowly add flour and milk- using wisk to make a gravy like consistency- I added the salt and pepper here- add all to potato mixture

*add Chicken Broth

*add 1/2 of the cheddar cheese

*cook bacon until crispy and then break up into the potato mixture

*Stir- if it's too thick add a little more milk- The soup will thicken as it cooks

*Cook on low for however long you need it too. Everything is already cooked so I don't think it really matters how long.

*Add sour cream about 5 minutes before serving.
*Add extra bacon and/or cheese to each bowl if desired.




4 comments:

Mrs. Nichole J. said...

How do you make your Baked Pot Soup and is it crock pot friendly? :-D

Check out mine here

Sandra said...

Great Menu.....Happy Holidays!

♥Sandra♥

Natalie said...

As a kid I couldn't get enough spaghetti. It's still my favorite food. Your children are so lucky to get it every week!

My Menu Plan is up too! :)

jodi said...

Mmmmm...baked potato soup and Sister Shubert rolls! Don't ya just love Sister Shubert? Have you tried her sausage rolls? They are my favorite quick breakfast treat!