Wednesday, February 13, 2008

WFMW- Emotional Well Being Supplements

I have emotional issues. I am not going to lie. I tend to get rather snippy and if you’re around me and you have a head, you better watch out because I might just BITE IT OFF!

Now that being said, I am not like this all the time, but I do tend to get this way a lot.

DH first suggested I see the doctor about getting something to take to help take the edge off after my FIL died and we knew we’d be spending a lot more time with my MIL (but that is a WHOLE different post- or series of posts LOL). I tried about 5 different prescriptions before I found something that seemed to work. It did help tremendously with the moods and all but it made me so sleepy I could hardly function. I was literally struggling to stay awake, even when I took it at night.

After this my doc (bless her heart she was so patient with me) switched me to Wellbutrin. I was no longer tired- in fact I was wired. It worked pretty well but we decided to try taking both- at lower dosages. This worked really well- but after about 4 weeks I noticed that I had the jitters all the time. My hands were literally shaking constantly. And I while I felt better emotionally, I was a wreck physically.

Enter the blessing of herb vitamins. I did some reading and weaned myself off of the prescriptions and started taking the vitamins. Man, what a difference. I am now taking the following:

St. John’s Wort- I take 300 mgs twice a day
Korean Ginseng- 100 mg twice a day
Evening Primrose Oil- 1000 mg twice a day
5 HTP –100 mg at night before bed
Vitamin B6 – 100 mg once a day (helps the 5 HTP to work better)


I can tell you that taking these has saved my sanity and my families lives! LOL

All kidding aside- they’ve really done wonders for my overall well being and I plan to continue taking them.

Check out more Works for Me Wednesday at Don't Try This at Home, our substitute host (thanks chilihead)!!!

2 comments:

Brea said...

This is VERY interesting, Beth! I might have to look into these natural supplements. DH and I are looking into getting pregnant later this year and I definitely don't want to be taking Wellbutrin anymore!

Robin (the PENSIEVE one) said...

Can you point me in the direction of some recommended reading? There's so much available (on the net, in books), I just don't know where to begin. Seems like I could gain from your experience :).

Thanks!