Thursday, October 18, 2007

The Way it Should Be!

My Grand-daddy had a stroke a week and a half ago. He'd been suffering from Parkinson's Disease and had gradually become a man very different from the Grand-daddy that I grew up with. The disease had changed him in many ways. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I had not seen him much as the disease progressed. I know that I could have made more time to visit but there just always seemed to be something going on. And to be honest, I wasn't really sure I wanted to see him.

About 2 months ago all of the family made a trip to the mountains for a family "union" as he called it. There were 25 members of our family that got together. My Grand-daddy decided he wanted to share some things with us. As he talked, and talked, and talked I began to see how sharp his mind still was. Even if he couldn't remember things that had happened recently (the man met a woman at the assisted living home where he was living and after knowing her for about 1 month they decided to get married-when he went to get the marriage certificate he couldn't even remember her name--but that's a whole different story! LOL). He talked about the grandchildren coming to his place in the mountains to visit. The weeks we spent there playing by the creek bed and throwing rocks in the creek. It was really sweet to hear him recalling those memories.

Then he had the stroke! It was a massive stroke and because he had a living will he was placed into what they call "care mode" after 5 days. And then it became just a matter of waiting.

On Tuesday afternoon I really felt a tug at my heart. I felt God telling me that I needed to go to the hospital. I knew my Grand-daddy may not even know I was there but I wanted to see him, to tell him I loved him and to be there for my Mom.

So yesterday I made the 3 hour trip to the hospital. I was able to stroke his hair, tell him I loved him and tell him that I was praying for him and that I knew God was going to take care of him. It was a difficult thing to do but I felt so at peace when I left.

Then yesterday afternoon after I got home we decided to take the boys to the fair. As the kids were running from ride to ride and wasting spending money on games I stopped to think. "Gosh, my Grand-daddy is dying and we're here having a great time" But then I thought "That's the way it should be". Grand-daddy wouldn't want us to be sitting around grieving and worrying, he'd want us spending time with our families and enjoying life.

Late last night we received the call. Grand-daddy had gone to be with his Precious Heavenly Father. I had prayed that God would heal him- either heal his body here on earth or heal him by giving him a brand new body in heaven. I thank God for answering my prayer and I smile at the thought of my Grand-mommy waiting at heavens gate beside Jesus- both ready to hold him in their arms and welcome him home- Because "That's the Way it Should Be!

I love you Grand-daddy!!


Katrina said...

Oh Beth, what a sweet (and also a little bittersweet) post. I'm so glad that you went to see him one last time and I'm thankful that he is with the Lord.

MB said...


that was a beautiful post! prayers to you and your family!

jodi said...

Awww, I'm so sorry about your grand-daddy. But I am glad you saw him one last time and have such precious memories of him.