Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Tales From the Scales- the beginning!


Well, I posted here about new beginnings and today I started one of them. I have joined the new Look Great in 2008 challenge at Tales From the Scales! I'm really excited about becoming a part of this challenge.

I already participate in weight loss challenges on the Thirties board at Dotti's Weight Loss Zone and they are super supporters so I decided what more could I ask for than more supporters and cheerleaders.

I started my weight loss journey in Jan. 2006. In all honesty, I had never really had to struggle with my weight before. I was always small- when I married in 1990 I was 122 pounds and stayed around that until I had kids. Then the weight did start climbing. When I decided to do something about it in 2006 I was at 146. I know that may not seem like lot to some, but to me it was more than I wanted to be and I wasn't happy with the way my body looked or felt. So I stared watching what I ate and started exercising! I lost a total of 20 pounds by June of 2006. It was great but then the weight started climbing back up again.

On Jan. 1, 2007 I was up to 137 and I signed up for Weight Watchers and was amazed at what I was learning. I started eating so much better and worked really hard to keep track of my points and water intake- things went great and I dropped almost all of the weight I'd gained. Then I got slack again this summer and started gaining again. This time the numbers kept climbing again and this time they didn't stop. The highest that I reached was 140- I was shocked but knew I had to buckle down and watch myself. I wanted to blame the weight gain on medication I was taking and maybe that did have something to do with it. But I stopped taking the medicine on Sunday so we'll see if that makes any difference. But really it wasn't so much that the weight was up but it was more I knew all of the bad things I was putting into my body and I needed it to STOP!!!

So that brings me to today! I'm ready to make a change and make a difference. My "official" weigh in day is currently on Fridays but I'm trying to decide if I want to change that. The main reason is that puts me right into the weekend and typically I end up using lots of flex points on weekends and often I'm left with nothing "extra" to get me through the week if I need it! So I may change to Tuesdays- to go along with post day for the challenge!

I'm going to post my beginning weight based on what I weighed last Friday because I didn't weigh this morning!

Beginning weight- 136
Goal Weight- 125

I already exercise at least 5 days a week but I'm making some changes in the type of exercise I'm doing. I'm adding more weight bearing workouts. Nothing major but it's more than what I was doing. So my plan is weight work 3 days a week with cardio added into one of those days (Wednesdays) and then cardio the other three days!

So, it's time to start making changes! It's not to late for you to sign up here if you're interested- or if you'd like to read about other people's weight loss challenges!!

5 comments:

Karen said...

I'm right here with you! :) Started my challenge today! Woo-hoo!

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

Welcome to the challenge! I did the one that just ended and the weekly accountability helped me quite a lot. Glad to have you join us. :-)
Path to Health

PDub said...

I'm on my way back to WW tonight... I'll join in with you on this journey.

Love your new blog look - it's SO you!

Fiddledeedee said...

Good girl!!! I need to join you. But I failed so miserably first time around, I'm hesitant to go all tabloid about it. I need to lose 15 pounds now. Mostly, I need to get of my rear and excercise!

Keep up the good work! I'll be cheering from the sidelines. That should be good for burning a few calories, right?

Anonymous said...

You go, Beth! YOU CAN DO IT!