Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Answered Prayers

I have to admit that sometimes I say my prayers and I feel like I'm just rattling off words. I don't know what it is, but sometimes I feel like I'm just saying the same old things. I know that's terrible but I'm just being honest.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago DH and I had a big argument disagreement and at the time we just didn't discuss it. I was hurt and couldn't even talk to him. I spent the next day feeling really hurt and down. I cried a lot during that next day, I brooded, fumed and was just flat out angry! I was holding it all in, feeling like I was carrying a huge weight on my shoulders.

But then that night I had to take Mark to baseball practice and I prayed the entire way to practice and then entire way home. I am usually not a very fair fighter. I am an extremely emotional fighter. I tend to take things very personal and I wear my heart on my sleeve. I cry very easily and that just makes things worse. So I prayed that God would help me to be calm when DH and I talked. That I would not get emotional but would find the right words to explain to him exactly how I was feeling. By the time we got home I felt so at peace. I felt like that weight had been lifted off of my shoulders. We still didn't talk about it that night but the next morning before the boys got up for school I approached him and asked him if we could talk.

I was so calm, I didn't cry, I didn't yell, I didn't fall apart. We talked, and then we prayed together. Something we don't do nearly enough.

I know that God always answers our prayers- He just doesn't always answer them the way that we want Him to answer them. But in this case- He blessed me more than I could have expected. I have honestly never had such a peaceful feeling as I did driving home that night. So what have I learned? I need to trust the Lord more with my daily life. I need to pray specific things- I need to pray with more than just words- I need to pray with my heart!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm the same way. Glad you took it to the Lord and found the peace that only He can supply!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Thanks for sharing this, Beth. I think we all go through times when prayer seems harder or less "connecting" than other times. I know I sure do. But I, too, have seen God answer from-the-heart prayers in amazing ways (and more than once it involved a "discussion" with my husband!).