Monday, August 20, 2007

And they're off!












Well today was the first day back at school for my boys. 5th and 4th grade- it's just not possible!! Not only were they starting new grades but they were starting at a totally new school for them. We moved into our new house at the end of last years school year and they have met a lot of kids around the new neighborhood but a many of them are home schooled or go to private schools. So, they pretty much went in only knowing a few kids in the whole school.

Last Thursday we all went to open house to meet their teachers. We knew that Luke's teacher had been teaching for 32 years. I expected some old grouchy lady who was on the brink of retiring. Thank goodness I was wrong. I really think his teacher is going to be great- and she did not look old enough to have been teaching for 32 years- unless she started when she was 10!! Mark's teacher is only in her 3rd year of teaching but she seems like she's going to be great as well. Someone told me that they saw many of her students from last year coming up and giving her hugs at the open house and talking with her so that really made me feel good.


So today, I woke them up at the crack of dawn so that we could leave in plenty of time- they start early- last been rings at 7:25!! They were up and moving pretty quickly. Both seemed pretty positive about the day. I was not about to tell them that Mom's stomach was in knots.

I drove them to school and dropped them off and said a prayer on my way home- is was one of many prayers for them being send up lately! I had tons of errands to run today so I really didn't have time to "worry" about them. When I went to pick them up it was such a relief to see them with bright smiles on their faces as they got into the car. They called Dad on the way home to tell them about their day and Luke told him -"Well, the new school was probably a tie with our old school but I think tomorrow it will probably pass it and be even better"- Words a Mom loves to hear!!!

4 comments:

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Oh, I'm so glad their first day went well! Now those knots in your stomach can relax, knowing that everything will be just fine.

Love the pictures, too -- such handsome boys!

Beth Wright (P31 OBS Team Member) said...

oh, guess my excitement over the great day was a little premature- this morning was UGLY- and to make it worse I really lost my temper with Luke! I need to get control of that- it doesn't help the poor guy any when I fussing so at him!!! Keep praying for us folks!!

PDub said...

They look so grown up! I can't believe how tall Mark is.

We are on our way on Thursday with a brand spankin' new teacher... I have BIG knots in my stomach.

Unknown said...

That's great!

Amanda had an "experienced" teacher in 2nd grade, and before I met her, I thought the same as you--she's be uptight and very strict. She wasn't. She was so laid back and cared for the kids individually.